Sunday, April 12, 2009

Oh the first week

Well, it's been a busy week and when it's not busy I sit and read - so that's why there hasn't been a post in 6 days...gosh, I'm falling behind.

The students came and we had our first confusing and crazy week.  The students were finally divided into their appropriate classes on oh...wednesday I think.  It was so strange - so many other things to do I guess (it also doesn't help that your leader is completely all over the place).  You guys can pray for me this wedneday evening when we meet at her house for a long (i'm guessing but with previous experience linked to this assumption) meeting.  See, she plans things  but then needs, needs, needs our opinion before she makes it complete in her mind.  Yeah, that's one of the issues.  
So I've been in my room reading a lot.  It also seems like the students this quarter are a lot more dependant on people - especially me because I'm the only teacher living on the base.  They are also living right above our room which makes things always a bit more interesting.  It seems that all the room issues - like roommate hogs or slobby people etc. come to me.  I'm not sure how I became the mother but I did and I'm refusing this job.
Other than that, Dustin and I have gone to borders to get away as well as a book sale at the local library.  Dustin got some books for his potential library (way into the future) and I got some books that I can read right now.  Interesting how each mind thinks differently.  
Well, I've cruised through my first Nicholas Sparks book and onto the next.  Sometimes these easy reads and good endings keep me wanting more.  I know there are a lot of better books out there but I have limited selections for the price.  
This wednesday though is a huge highlight in our quarter.  We are starting to house-sit for the Powells.  And we'll also be babysitting their dog which will be quite exciting - an envied job by some.  We're pumped to possible cook a few little things, have our own quite space, have great internet that doesn't have restrictions and be alone...did I say that already - well I think it's needed....already...but perhaps this will show the students that I'm their teacher, not their mom.
Anyways, don't want to sound sour - had an interesting day today - full of odd complaints and arguments and that's where this is coming from so I'm hiding out - reading and on the computer and ignoring the knocks on my door at least for a little while longer.  
I am excited about this quarter as well - but learning how to draw the line, when my job ends and when I can be myself without my students.  I only will have 3 students in my class.  It will be a lot more interesting and intimate but I think that's what they need anyways.  I'm teaching the middle level - the blue book this time and my girls are at completely different places.  I will also be teaching some of the afternoon classes which is our whole group of 16 students.  There's a lot of advanced students this quarter so we'll be really focusing on cleaning up their language and getting some of those survival-skills torn down to natural language skills.  
It will be great - as long as I grab some patience and self-control.  You can pray for me in these areas.

No comments: